You Might Be A Caregiver If…
There are 40.4 million of them in the United States. They assist with household chores, provide transportation, help with medical and personal care, offer emotional support, and supply even the simple companionship that can make such a difference in someone’s quality of life. And they do it all without the benefit of a paycheck.
They are family caregivers.
You may be among them and not even realize it as so many of us tend to think of “caregivers” as professional home health aides or nurses. Or think that taking care of our loved ones is just something that dutiful children, grandparents, spouses, and friends do. But the fact is, you really are a caregiver if you do any of the following for a loved one in your life:
- Help them get dressed.
- Take them to doctors’ appointments.
- Manage their medications.
- Research information about their health issues.
- Take time off work to help them.
- Help them balance their checkbook, pay their bills, or offer any other financial assistance.
- Frequently call in to check on them.
- Stay up at night worried about them
- Shop for their groceries or prepare meals.
- Neglect your own needs or give up activities you enjoy to spend time helping a loved one.
Helping caregivers manage a wealth of challenges.
If you recognize these responsibilities – whether you are providing assistance to an aging parent, a spouse, a disabled child, or a sick friend – you may have very unique emotional, financial, physical, and other challenges when it comes to caregiving. To help you manage these challenges and access the resources available to you, Avidia Bank has partnered with BayPath Elder Services, Inc. and its Family Caregiver Support Program and Caregiving MetroWest website to provide the assistance, information, and support family caregivers need.
Join us for a free and informative seminar.
As part of this community partnership between Avidia and BayPath, we are offering an informative workshop for caregivers later this month in Avidia’s new Framingham branch office.
The seminar will be led by Caregiving MetroWest Program Manager, Douglas Flynn and BayPath Caregiver Specialist, Alicia Rego. In this program, they will –
- Provide information about BayPath’s many programs and services
- Highlight how the Family Caregiver Support Program assists local caregivers
- Give a guided tour to the information and resources available on their national award-winning CaregivingMetroWest.org website
- Offer a crash course in what to expect throughout the stages of your caregiving journey with “Caregiving 101: What You Need to Know.”
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Location: Avidia Bank, 270 Cochituate Road, Framingham, MA
Time: 6-8 p.m.
Light refreshments will be served.
About BayPath Elder Services.
BayPath Elder Services, Inc. is a nonprofit agency founded in 1977. Its mission is to be a trusted partner in providing an array of services and programs to older adults, caregivers and persons with disabilities to support their independence and dignity.
The Family Caregiver Support Program is funded through the Older Americans Act and is a no-cost service that provides in-person support, information and connections to resources to help family caregivers address their specific caregiving needs.
CaregivingMetroWest.org is a free interactive website designed to provide easy access to the information, resources and support you need from your home or on your smartphone at any time of the day.